AP courses provide opportunities for advanced, specialized study and a means of accelerating university education. AIS is one of two AP Testing locations in all of Vietnam. The main advantage of taking the AP courses is to better prepare for university studies.
It has been shown that students master in depth content at the college level more easily after completing AP courses in high school. Students also acquire sophisticated academic skills and increased self-confidence in preparation for college.
Advantages of Taking AP Courses:
- University Entry:
- Stand out in the admissions process
- Earn scholarships / awards
- Skip entry-level courses
- Enter higher-level classes earlier
- Improve candidacy for Competitive and Ivy League Universities
- Over 600 universities in more than 45 countries
- Universities in Canada: 100% offer credit for AP courses & examinations
- Universities in Germany & Austria: recognize the AP program
- Universities in China & Taiwan encourage AP grade report submissions
- APID Criteria: Earn Marks of 3 or higher (out of 5) on at least 5 AP exams
- Two AP Exams from 2 different languages: AP English Language and Composition and AP Mandarin and Culture
- One AP Exam from: AP World History, AP Human Geography, or AP Government and Politics: Comparative
- One exam from the Sciences or Mathematics content areas.
- One additional exam from among any content area except English and world languages
- Maximum: 2 AP courses per year
AP Course Criteria
Overall GPA of 3.5 and above
Subject area GPA of 3.7 and above
2 recommendation letters from subject area teachers
A contract signed by both student and parents understanding, acknowledging and committing to the AP course fees, requirements and workload.